Sunday, November 04, 2007

Museums and an oil painting~

Sometimes i wish i was still back at the east coast. Such as this weekend when i heard about the JMW Turner rethrospective in Washington; or the Rick Berry show in Boston. But LA has something to offer as well! Murakami, the main character behind Japan's Super Flat movement~

Above are pics taken of his animation. The exhibition itself did not allow any photography, which is a total shame. But if you are in town, definitely check it out!!! It's like going to Disneyland on speed~ i have no other way to describe his crazy fun installations and funky mushroom sculptures with a gazillion eyes. i can't help but smile and applaud his voodoo god sculpture. i was feeling a lot happier and dizzier when i walked out of Moca. I went to several museums in the area as well, but Murakami is the one that would stay in my head for a long time~

Sunday~ did a portrait at LAFA again. Second oil portrait in forever it seems. Costumed figure is so much fun~~ next week the theme is Turkish Belly Dancer~~~ Can't wait. ^_____^

10 comments:

Sho Masanao Katayama said...

Is this oil? looks like gouache painting to me. i'm curious how you paint...
i like it anyway though.
and, speaking of Carriere, iknow, they are so beautiful.
i was standing in front of them last summer.

Hethe Srodawa said...

Hmmm, I'd see the show if I lived closer. Sounds interesting. I think your second portrait is an improvement from the last as far as the drawing goes, structure and all that. Looks like it's chiseled out of stone, very dimensional and thus very cool to me.

Albert Ramos said...

Great stuff in your blog, I really like it. I hope they treat you well in my continent, next time you go to Europe go to Spain, it's not because I'm Spanish, it's because it's a beautiful country ;)

Btw, your oil painting rocks.

Unknown said...

wish I could tackle oils :T thats awesome though, love her expression

Stephen Chang said...

Amazing stuff Shelly!!! Its so inspiring to see your stuff especially after a long day at work =D

Percy Bysshe said...

Wonderful portrait - I dig those bold, Schaefferish brush strokes...

Unknown said...

really lovely oil portrait!

Marcelo Vignali said...

That's a really nice portrait! I like how it's not noodled or over detailed, but rather has that Pyle approach with large brushstrokes. Very nice indeed.

Chris Sears said...

i like this one a lot. you were sitting about two spaces over me. the red underpainting worked really well and you've modelled some nice subtle colors over it. i dig the brushwork too.

Geo said...

Have you been to Disneyland on speed?